Now that I have returned from the Tinker Bell half Marathon weekend I have some thoughts to share.
- If you are most interested in getting character pictures along the course, get up early to get a good spot in your corral
- If you want a better corral, think about completing a local race to get an official time to submit to runDisney
- Have a fully charged battery on your phone and camera
- Have a set of earbuds – bluetooth might be a good option, less wires in your pictures, and easier to hand off your phone to someone taking your picture
- Remember that you will be in some pictures, so prepare! I made sure to put on some waterproof mascara and lipgloss, as well as a tinted moisturizer with a good SPF, that’s all, just enough so I felt good, but wasn’t going to look like my face was melting off.
- Have a way for your family to track your run
- Take advantage of the restrooms in the parks, much better than having to use the portables along the city streets
- When taking a picture be aware that you are moving and an object may appear to “jump” into your frame
- At the finish look alert, and smile! I was so focused on turning off my running app that I look like I’m madly texting at the end, ooops
- Make sure to have your ID and a small amount of cash – in case you need to purchase something along the route (such as aspirin, bandaids etc) there are also massages available at the finish area and they only take cash
- Discuss with your cheering squad where you will meet after the race, we had some communication issues and took about 30 minutes to finally meet up
- Beware of posting images of your bib to social media. Doing so before the race could allow someone to create a fake bib and join the race. Also the race results are public and anyone can type in your bib number and find your name, age and hometown.
Over all, I had a great time, a definite Disney Bucket List item! Would I do this again? I think so, although perhaps a 10K instead of a Half Marathon. The 10K route is almost entirely in the parks, since I’m not a runner that distance is just right and I get to be in the parks. I’d also do a local race to get a better time to get an earlier corral, more time in the parks to get pictures!
Stephanie is an avid paper crafter, scrapbooker, and lover of all things Disney. She also enjoys playing with geeky toys to create her paper creations! When not creating scrapbook pages about her husband and son, she can be found at HainingMade.com making handmade paper crafts for parties and events.